Saturday, January 5, 2013

[Multi] President of Epic Games announces retirement

[Multi] President of Epic Games announces retirement
[Image: game-news-image-2012-563dda0873761ebf166...2789bb.jpg]
It's been quite an epic year for venerable game developer Epic Games (oh yes, I just did that). The Gears of War and Unreal Engine developer has seen the departure of design director Cliff Bleszinski and director of production Rod Fergusson, while acquiring Bulletstorm developer People Can Fly (which saw several major departures itself) and hiring much of the talent from the late Kingdoms of Amalur developer Big Huge Games into a new studio called Impossible Games. Adding to the events today was president Mike Capps, who announced his retirement from that position on the company's website.

Capps said that he will remain in an advisory role as well as remain on the Epic Games board of directors, but after ten years serving as the company's president, he has decided to step back and find more time for his family, which will be adding a baby boy in the near future.

"After dedicating a decade of my life to Epic, and with so many close friends here, it’s impossible to just walk away," writes Capps. "I absolutely love this company. If you cut me, I think I probably bleed nanoblack and Imulsion. (Wow, just think about what mixing those would do…) Epic founder and CEO Tim Sweeney and other board members asked me to stay on the board, and I’m thrilled to do so as I’m truly excited about our future games and Unreal Engine 4."

"As I mentioned above, I’ll continue to be available as a resource to Epic, to provide context or advice where I can. Whatever I can do to help in Epic’s success, I’m in! I’ve got great confidence in our executive team – VP of Development Paul Meegan is new to our Raleigh HQ, but we’ve worked with him for years, and I can only contemplate this retirement knowing that he and VP of Operations John Farnsworth can manage development better than I ever did."

Written by: Mike Glubish

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Template by: Free Blog Templates